Cory was channel surfing one night and happen to catch the last scene of the Ghostbusters. To no surprise, the boys were completely captivated and loved hearing the theme song at the end. When trying to come up with Halloween costumes, I decided to pitch the idea of being the Ghostbusters. I thought I would have to do some convincing, but Jacob and Evan immediately got excited, saying they couldn’t wait to “Toast the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man!!”… My inner child-of-the-80’s could not be more thrilled.
I ordered kids flight coveralls for their costume (UPDATE: Amazon NOW OFFERS KHAKI COVERALLS!!!) I then purchased Ghostbusters patches from Amazon. They sell individual name kits (Venkman, Spengler, Stantz, and Zeddemore), a pack of 4, as well as personalized name tags you can purchase with just the logo patch.
To make the proton pack, I used the following on-hand supplies:
- Shipping Box, 13.5 x 10.5 x 5″
- Black Spray Paint (Flat Black Paint+Primer)
- Black Duct Tape
- Industrial Strength Glue
- Grey Craft Paint
- Multi-colored Striped Ribbon
- Black Strap Material
- Printable Sticker Paper (or shipping label paper)
- Red Sharpie
- Glow Stick
And purchased the following items from the Dollar Store:
…Lots of lights and things that glow – Toddler approved!!
- Cut 4 circles from painter’s tape (I prefer Frog Tape) and stick them on the round plastic container.
- Cover the light-up section of the blue light stick with painter’s tape.
- Spray paint the following items:
– Shipping Box (IMPORTANT: If you would like the red circles to light up, leave one side of box open so a glow stick can be inserted into the round container on day of use.)
– Round Container (lid not needed)
– Rectangular Container (lid not needed)
– 2 bubble Caps
– Water Bottle Top
– Blue Light Stick
– Sound Wand
- Take apart the oversized pen.
- Connect the tip of the pen to the flashing multi-colored light stick.
- Insert the bottom of the flashing multi-colored light stick into the middle section of the oversized pen.
- Wrap black Duct Tape around the bottom, to connect the wand with the pen and cover any non-black print.
- Paint the tip of the water bottle grey (I used craft paint)
- Remove painter’s tape VERY CAREFULLY from the round container (the paint around it peels up easily).
- Color clear sections with red Sharpie (a thick Sharpie works best)
- Drill 2 holes into ONE of the bubble caps.
- Cut a section of red jump rope.
- Insert one end of the jump rope into the top of the cap, and feed it back through the other hole.
- Cut a section of red and yellow jump rope.
- Duct Tape rope pieces to the blue light stick (similar light stick found HERE).
- Attach blue light stick to the front, left side of the box with Duct Tape.
- Cut section of striped, multi-colored ribbon.
- Duct Tape ribbon to inside of rectangular container, twist the ribbon and attach other end of ribbon to the box with Duct Tape.
- Glue all front proton pack pieces in place (round container, rectangular container, 2 bubble caps, and water bottle top). Note: Leave jump rope ends loose, so there is no tension on glued pieces.
- Let glue dry overnight.
- Tuck yellow and red jump rope pieces, from the blue light stick, into the bottom slit in the shipping box.
- Tuck top red jump rope into the slit at top of box, and insert the other red rope into the bottom right curve of the round container.
- Cut a hole into the inside of the box, so a glow stick can be inserted into the round container for day of use.
- Staple and/or tape black straps to the open flaps of the back of the box.
- Cut a circle hole in the right side of the box (IMPORTANT: The hole needs to be JUST large enough to fit the sound tube, without allowing the larger end pull through).
- Insert small end of the sound tube into the inside of the box and pull through till the large end catches.
- Cut sound tube to desired length, insert the flashing multi-colored light stick/pen piece into the tube and Duck Tape to hold.
- Insert glow stick into back hole for the round container.
- Tape back of proton pack shut.
- Print proton pack stickers and stick in appropriate locations.
- TOAST THE STAY PUFT MARSHMALLOW MAN!!!
“Don’t. Cross. The streams. It would be bad.”
Follow me on Pinterest, for more fun ideas!